Saturday 15 September 2012

vogue: the special special anniversary issue


If you have a copy of this year's September issue of Vogue, I bet my cover looks pretty different from yours. I'm calling mine the special special anniversary issue. The new cover is the work of my two daughters who replaced Lady Gaga with their own drawings.


I took my daughters with me to buy magazines and when we entered the shop I still wasn't sure whether to buy the September issue this year. There are probably plenty of Lady Gaga fans out there who love the cover; I'm just not one of them and to me it was a weird cover girl choice. As I took the magazine in my hands and saw the content I just knew that I wouldn't be able to part with it. After all, this is the September issue and I buy it every year.

Before heading back home I told my daughters that we would have to do something about the cover because I wouldn't be able to look at Lady Gaga on my coffee table in the next weeks (it's 916 pages long, it will take some time to read through it). Even they didn't like it so they were more than happy to be of help. I asked them to draw for me a new lady and I gave them full artistic freedom. As soon as we arrived home they got to work in their rooms and soon they were downstairs with their drawings and glue and a new cover was born.

I love it that I also got a dog.


I say this with the greatest respect for Anna Wintour, Grace Coddington and Vogue's team of staff but I believe my daughters just kicked their cover's butt.

Have a wonderful weekend dear readers and blog friends!

photo credit:
Lisa Hjalt
cover artists: Margret + Maria

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely cover now!!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ♥ Franka

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, that's brilliant. have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and funny!!!
    Your daughters are sweet little angels (and you look far more better than Lady Gaga!)
    Enjoy the weekend Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cracked me up, your daughters are too cute! I agree, Gaga was an odd choice... x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You already know that this cover made my day when you sent me the preview. :) You know what you have to do if I decide to buy this issue after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too Funny... and with beautiful rendering within the lines! I love that dog... :) Have a great weekend girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! Love this Lisa! Well done to your girls for a fabulous cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that cover looks great, I would not want to see LG either on the magazine.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree that your girls did a much more stylish cover! I wouldn't have bought the original issue either. Well, I didn't, but had a look through at the hair salon. The only thing I really liked was the gatefold of Daria in the Hall of Mirrors at Versalles. Love that video so much and it was fun to see a still and examine the room in more detail. When I visited it in May, it was, of course, packed with people.

    Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, love the attitude! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sense of humour Lisa + your kids are adorable to have created this new cover for you! I must say I really did like the GaGa pic, but what your girls created is far softer and more elegant. I do love the angels wings too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, your children are so sweet! I haven't even met them but I just know they're wonderful and quite frankly, I think their drawing is more appealing than the original...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The restyling of the Vogue cover is absolutely adorable and I'm sure you are a great inspiration for their creativity. Grace Coddington would be proud of your fashion team!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful Lisa, this truly brightened my day!
    The artistic cover created by your daughters is beautiful:)
    Have a lovely week,
    Wendy xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could not love this more, Lisa! I have to agree with you that your daughters kicked major butt :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Beautiful cover by your sweet daughters! Well done!
    have a lovely day,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.