Wednesday 20 March 2013

first day of spring

It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want--oh, you don't quite know what it is you DO want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!
Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer, Detective
I love that Mark Twain quote above.

The first day of spring has arrived in my small corner of the world and my heart is happy. It is a rainy one but that is fine by me. Nothing is in bloom, yet, but I don't think I have to wait long for nature to recover from the unexpected snow we had last week.

We are expecting a gardener soon and when he is done cutting branches and that sort of thing I am ready to take over. Lately I have been making a list of plants that I would like to buy to add more colour to the garden. Some of you may laugh out loud but there was a time at university - probably when studying for some hideous exam - that I asked myself why I didn't go to the agricultural university to learn about gardening and landscape planning. A job where you can wear Wellies and flowery gloves all day must be a wonderful job!

Did the gorgeous conservatory in the photo above catch your attention? It belongs to British designer, Jasper Conran, who owns a country estate in Somerset, called the Ven House. There is a beautiful and touching video on his website with images from the English countryside, taken by photographer Andrew Montgomery, who also took the bottom photo of this post. On the website you can also view images from Jasper Conran's book Country that was published in 2010 (see Amazon for details).

This is what I am enjoying these days.

Happy Spring 2013!

photo credit:
1: via Mon Jardin & ma maison / 2: World of Interiors via The Rural Society / 3: Franck Bel for Mon Jardin & ma maison / 4: Andrew Montgomery

5 comments:

  1. That is an impressive green house!... I just picked the last of the tomatoes on the weekend so it's all over for us here. There is only a couple of sweet chilli's growing and the ornamental pear has just shown some new buds - it's definitely a change of seasons to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful Spring post, Lisa...unfortunately we're seemingly a long way from Spring in the UK :-(
    I LOVE the conservatory you show here...perfect!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Spring, Lisa! This is the way to welcome spring, although I'm more unofficial and welcome it on the 1st of March. That's how much I long for it during those grey winter days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to know spring is showing some signs of arriving for you, summer has not left here yet although the nights are more pleasantly cool.
    The conservatory is gorgeous, I do love them, so very English, like me!
    Have a wonderful time in the garden, it is so very relaxing to potter about with plants.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Lisa. Here the spring has arrived unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.