Wednesday 5 June 2013

Garden design: a 17th century farmhouse in Devon

A 17th century farmhouse in Devon · lavender · Arne Maynard garden design · Lunch & Latte blog


There are a few gardens in my files but today I chose this one in Devon, an Arne Maynard design, mainly for the lavender. Lavender has been on my mind. I was spreading mine in the garden and I find myself constantly looking at it and even talking to it to see how it's doing. (Talking to plants is fine but if they start talking back you may need to see someone about that!) It's one of my favourite plants and I absolutely love its fragrance. Be prepared to see some lavender on my blog this summer.


Garden designer Arne Maynard is the owner of the Wales farmhouse and garden I shared on the blog recently. This old farmhouse in Devon is from the 17th century and when Maynard was called in to design the garden it already had the structure of a walled garden, but it needed restructuring. Maynard and his team set out to revive the main route into the house where they, for example, planted ancient espalier pears in the outer court. In the front court they used plants such as lavender, violas and geraniums.

I don't know about you but I'm smitten.



10 comments:

  1. beautiful. gotta go there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I am so happy that you left a comment so that I could find you! What a GORGEOUS setting this garden is- so inspiring~ I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the building is absolutely stunning... :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm smitten too, Lisa. I guess having a garden must be one of the most wonderful things. It must be so relaxing to spend time there and tend to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear, Lisa, this is just too much! Absolute perfection! I adore lavender, too, but can't grow it in my shady garden. Fortunately, we have a number of lavender farms a short drive away so I can get a good fix in the summer. :)

    Hope you're having a great week.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bellissimo ! Ciao Stefania
    cool chic style fashion & cool chic style confidential

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear, Arne Maynard's work is amazing. Her bohemian but studied gardens are incredible. Lavenders, oh lavenders. You've caught me.
    PS. Please don't say me that your plants start talking to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No María, the plants haven't started replying when I talk to them so I'm good ;-)

      Delete
  7. This to me is the perfect garden. I love everything about it and especially the carefully rambling rose up the stone entrance--what a thing of beauty!

    Can't wait to see a pic of your lavender. Mine needs some manicuring!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can only imagine the divine smell of this place! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.