Thursday 2 October 2014

Outdoor living

Outdoor living is a series on the blog that contains stylish outdoor living areas and sometimes al fresco table settings. It's about celebrating being outdoors all year round!


First let me say that I have changed the intro to this blog series, as I'm no longer considering it a temporary one, and I'm enjoying it too much to take a break from it. Besides I have plenty of outdoor living areas in my files waiting to be posted and it is unlikely that I will run out of content with all the monthly publications of interior magazines. I am aware that last week's space also had industrial chairs and a rustic farm table, but I wanted to show you that look in a completely different setting. This expansive terrace belongs to a duplex in the East Village in New York, owned by Alfredo Paredes, a chief executive at Ralph Lauren, and Brad Goldfarb of the cooking site The Recipe Grinder. With the help of architect Michael Neumann they renovated this penthouse (in the 1920s the building was a hospital) and created what can only be described as a beautiful home.

I like their al fresco table setting and I think the outdoor dining area has a good balance of rustic and industrial style, perhaps because of the colour of the vintage Tolix chairs, which blends in well. If it weren't for the surrounding buildings one would think this was a terrace somewhere out in the country - it looks so lush green!


The reason I decided to include a photo of the kitchen is that probably many of you recognise it. That photo could be found on almost every other design blog when the AD April 2012 issue came out. Besides I never get tired of black-framed doors, and I wanted to show you the arched window above the doors. In this penthouse there are five arched openings like this one that lead out onto the large terrace.


photo credit:
Miguel Flores-Vianna for Architectural Digest, April 2012

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you've turned this into a permanent series. This way I won't miss summer that much. :) I like the elegant and generous outdoor space, especially that it's in the middle of the city and I have the feeling that spending a little time there feels like an escape. And those kitchen wooden beams and arched window!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.